Sex and sexuality are complex and often misunderstood issues, which invoke a strong array of emotions.
The discussion documents published below do not represent the official position of The Salvation Army—they are the views of the writer(s); but are provided to enlighten, challenge and provoke individuals into thinking about these important issues and discussing them openly and honestly.
Prostitution Talk Sheet
This Talk Sheet covers recent developments in prostitution in New Zealand. It raises concerns about the normalisation of the purchasing of sex as a commodity, but also challenges Christians to think about how the witness of the church can negatively affect prostitutes' impressions of Christianity and Christ.
Prostitution talk sheet (PDF, 686KB)
Sexuality Talk Sheet
Turning People into Things: Sexxx... (PDF, 1.45MB)
Statements and Articles
- The Bible, the Church and Hospitality, exploring how the church can offer hospitality to gay and lesbian people, by Ross Wardle, War Cry, 22 May 2015.
- News release on New Zealand Salvation Army 2014 Same-Sex Attitudes Survey.
- Statement by the International Salvation Army on non-discrimination, with comments on international coverage of a June 2012 Australian media interview on homosexuality - October 2013
- Rainbow Wellington and The Salvation Army reach a rapprochement (PDF, 17KB) - jointly issued statements, May 2012
- The Salvation Army and Homosexual Law Reform (PDF, 32KB) - issued on the Authority of Commissioner Garth McKenzie (Territorial Commander), 15 May 2008
- Discussion paper on Homosexuality and The Salvation Army (PDF, 67KB) - Moral & Social Issues Council, July 2006
- Line in the Sand (PDF, 19KB) What does it mean for Christians to love homosexual neighbours? by Christina Tyson, War Cry, 13 May 2006