Positive Lifestyle Programmes
Support Transformation - With a Positive Lifestyle Programme.
For Shardae, the Positive Lifestyle Programme changed everything.
Of the mindset that ‘you’ve made your bed so you must lie in it’, Shardae would normally isolate herself when going through rough patches as a defence mechanism. In the past when she’d struggled with depression and anxiety, she’d depend on staying busy to cope. But that just kept her stuck in the same situation.
Building on her newfound progress, Shardae began attending our Positive Lifestyle Programme. This eight- week programme tackles deep topics such as:
~ Self Awareness
~ Grief and loss
~ Problem Solving and Conflict Resolution
~ Self Esteem
~ Goal Setting
As a single mum, Shardae’s focus had been only on the wellbeing of her sons, but The Positive Lifestyle Programme is giving her the long-needed opportunity to address some big issues in her own life.
‘I’ve actually been able to stop and take some time to work on myself and look at some of the issues and past experiences that I’ve kept suppressed.
Now I can bring them out, deal with them and move forward.’
Because the programme is held in a group setting with other people in similar situations, Shardae no longer feels so alone. She’s connecting and sharing, making new friends along the way.
‘I love going to the course because usually you end up hearing someone's story about what they've been through and how they're trying to deal with it.
It’s a safe space for people to share their problems and we can give them some encouraging advice or just be the person that gave them a bit of love that day.’
The Positive Lifestyle Programme is a vital pillar of support for those who come to us seeking help to address their problems long-term.
And the results* show that is it making a difference:
- 32 Centres are running the programme across New Zealand.
- 65% more participants than this time last year.
- 410 new clients to The Salvation Army accessing this service.
- 1869 sessions provided last financial year.
- 52% of participants have already met most of their goals.
- Participants report feeling increased capability, resilience, self-awareness and were actively working to improve their situation.
You can support a Positive Lifestyle Session for someone in need.
- To provide some food which could create the connection and open the door to PLP costs as little as $30
- To run one Positive Lifestyle session with resources and facilitators costs $150
- To conduct the whole 8-week programme would cost $1,200
- To fund a facilitator running the programme for a month to multiple groups costs $5,833
Please donate securely online now to fund wraparound services like the Positive Lifestyle Programme which can transform someone's life the way it did for Shardae.
Once you click on the button you will be taken to a new window where you can donate through our secure donation portal called Flo2Cash. If you have any questions about the security of your information please contact our supporter care team on 0800 53 00 00.
*1 July 2022 to 30 June 2023